10 Ways To Control High Blood Pressure
There are so many people are at the risk of high blood pressure, this is also known as hypertension. High blood pressure is major risk factor for heart and kidney diseases, stroke, and heart failure. High blood pressure is very dangerous so you should regularly check your blood pressure. If it is high, you can take following steps to lower it.
1. Your normal blood pressure should be under 140/90 mm Hg and if your systolic pressure (the top number) is over 140, consult your doctor what you can do to lower it.
2. If doctor has prescribed you medicine, take it.
3. You should always have healthy weight. If you are overweight or obese, it can inrease risk of high blood pressure. To find out, if you should lose weight or not, then you should find your body mass index (BMI) If your BMI is above the healthy range (i.e. 25 or greater). If your waist measurement is greater than 35 inches (women) or 40 inches (men) you probably have excess abdominal weight and you may benefit from weight loss especially if you have other risk factors. Talk to your doctor to see if you are at increased risk for high blood pressure and need to lose weight.
4. You should increase your physical activity. You should do at least 30 minutes of moderate activity, such as walking, most days of the week. You can do 30 minutes in three 10-minute segments.
5. You should opt foods with low salt and sodium.
6. You should use spices and herbs instead of salt to season the food you prepare at home.
7. You should eat more fruits, vegetables, grains, and low-fat dairy foods.
8. If you consume alcohol at all, consume moderate amount or restrict it.
9. Stress can raise your blood pressure or over the time it may contribute to the cause of high blood pressure, so you should ease your stress.
10. You can take foods rich in potassium which may help from developing high blood pressure. Many fruits, vegetables, dairy foods, and fish are good sources of potassium.